When you’re a survivalist, you are going to be doing a lot of work outside, getting ready for whatever may end up coming along when it comes to TEOTWAWKI. And, during that work, you may start to notice that there are areas of your lawn that are bare and that won’t grow back very easily. This is especially true if you have to dig up your yard for any reason, including hiding away supplies that you want to keep safe for later on.
Why Fix Them?
There are a few reasons that you would want to fix the dead spots in your lawn. It looks a lot nicer and it makes everything much more natural than it would otherwise. It also helps to keep everything hidden away that you want to hide, because people aren’t going to suspect that you’re hiding something away. In short, by fixing the dead spots in your lawn, it will eliminate suspicion and make it easier for you to continue to squirrel away food and whatever else you’re hiding away for the future issues that may come up.
How To Fix Them
Fixing the holes in your lawn actually isn’t really hard. Sadly, just watering it won’t fix anything, so you will need to put a little effort into whatever it is that you’re trying to fix. Here is a step by step guide that can help you out.
- Flatten out the area so that everything is even. This allows the water to flow evenly and you also don’t have to worry about patches of grass being worn down. Use a shovel, hoe, or other garden tool so that the consistency is the same as well. Then, you don’t have to worry about potential issues arising during the planting process.
- Put seeds over the area that you’re fixing up, and then make sure that you water it on a regular basis. That being said, you don’t want to water it too much – if you do, you’re going to end up drowning it, making the ground uneven, and then you’ll have to start the entire process again.
- Make sure that whatever grass you use is a type that is going to be helpful or the survival process. There are plenty of grasses that are edible, so either make it one of them or make it a type of grass that is going to make it easy for you to hide your home from prying eyes or those who may want to get whatever you may have during a survival situation.
Fixing the holes in your yard can be a huge help, so you want to make sure that you do it as soon as you possibly can. That way, you don’t have to worry and you’ll be a lot happier with the setup that you have from your home. How do you plan on fixing up your yard? Do you plan on doing so or are you just going to leave it?
As you likely know, there are a lot of concerns that come up when you’re prepping for a big disaster. Many people in our community believe that the big issue at hand is going to be related to an economic downturn. If that’s the case, there is a big chance that foreclosures are going to end up being much more of a problem and you may be among those who are dealing with it. How can you avoid foreclosure? Here are a few tips.
Go With a Lawyer
A lawyer is always a huge help when it comes to preventing issues like foreclosure. Because of that, you want to find a lawyer that specializes in people that are living off of the grid and that will be able to help you with the tasks that you need to do in order to succeed with your particular case. They can talk to you about how you should proceed with your particular case, give you tips on how to actually win that case, and let you know about the options that you may have throughout the process.
Consider Working with a Conglomerate
This is something that a lot of preppers will do. Since there are so many of us out there, we are doing everything that we can to make sure that we’ve got the situation under control before it even happens. After TEOTWAWKI, it’s every person for themselves, but until then, preppers should work together to ensure that everyone is provided for and taken care of, especially with homes. Sit down with a group that specializes in it, discuss how you can get homes without having to worry about foreclosure, and then go ahead with whatever plan it is that you may have in order to do so. You will get a lot more done with a team than if you tried to do things alone.
Pay with Cash
No matter what option you want to choose, make sure that you pay with cash instead of a bank account. This will make it more difficult for the government to trace you, it keeps you off of the grid (because you probably don’t have an account in the first place), and it makes it easier for you to continue on your way as peacefully as possible. Try to pay your home off in as few payments as possible as to avoid potential issues when the economy does collapse.
These tips could be helpful for anyone who is looking to avoid foreclosure as the economy continues to buckle and struggle. That being said, if you’re looking to find somewhere to live and you want to live off of the grid, there are other considerations that you will have to make as well. Take a look at all of our resources to learn about your options and to find a good way to prepare yourself before the time even comes along for you to deal with it.
There are many skills that you will need in order to survive in the post-apocalyptic world. One of the most important skills you will need is self-sufficiency. You must learn to live off of your own instincts like you never have before. This is a skill that some people are born with but others need to work hard at achieving.
You never know when it is going to be just you and nobody else. You may have to take care of things all on your own. All of the skills that are listed below will be necessary to survive.
- Gardening is definitely a great skill to have during the apocalypse. Much of the food you will obtain will be through the growing of seeds and plants. If you have a large family to feed, it is crucial that become self-sufficient in gardening.
- Preserving foods is another important skill to have. You will need to make sure you have plenty of food stored for you and your family. You may also have to learn to do this with very limited electricity available.
- Hunting and fishing are two skills that are essential in the post-apocalyptic world. This is a survival skill that is absolutely required if you plan on making it through the crisis. Practice this skill and make it a priority.
- Learning how to purify water is also very important. Most of the water that you will pump from wells will be contaminated in some way. That is why it is best to store as much water as you can in the pre-apocalyptic world to make sure you and your family have enough to survive on for a long period of time.
- Learning about nature and how it is able to heal others will help you to take care of your family when they become injured. Anything can happen out in the wilderness so it is important to have basic first aid skills and the understanding of the healing power of nature.
- If you are a skilled mechanic you will make it a long way in the post-apocalyptic world. Being able to repair things such as bikes, cars, and other vehicles, will come in extremely handy.
- Hygiene is very important even in the afterworld. Learn how to make soaps and shampoos from natural ingredients. When supplies start to run low your soaps and shampoos will be put to great use.
These are only some of the skills that require self-sufficiency. There are a number of other skills that would come in handy in a post-apocalyptic environment. Learning about different ways in which to save heat and energy can also be helpful for you and your family. Educate yourself about as much as you can so you are able to keep your family around for as long as possible. Self-sufficiency is the key to survival.
When the end of the world does come and you have zero access to cell phones, internet, or other means of communication, how do you plan to communicate with your group? Having a ham radio will be essential to communicating with members of your group and your family.
A ham radio is a tool that will be particularly useful when you are out in the wilderness. When someone in your group goes out food or supplies you are going to want to keep in contact with them at all times. There are certain features that you should look for when purchasing a ham radio for your survivalist kit.
Purchasing a Ham Radio
When you purchase a ham radio you want to make sure that it has a wide range of frequency. You never know when and where you are going to have to use it. If you are on a small budget you can still purchase a high quality ham radio with all of the features you will need as a survivalist.
You will need a ham radio with a frequency range of about 135-175 MHz and over 100 channels. Make sure you buy a case for your radio if it does not come with one. You are going to want to protect it from the elements. Having a ham radio that has a key lock and a flashlight would also be helpful. Buying a radio that has a battery safe function will help you save on batteries.
Since you are using these radios for survivalist purposes you are going to want one that has a very long range in any type of terrain. You want to choose a ham radio with a range of up to 5 miles. This will ensure that you can keep in contact with your group if you are searching for supplies or food. Having a long battery life is also essential.
If possible you will want to try to purchase your ham radios in bulk and stock up on batteries. Everything is going to be running on batteries so make sure that you have them stockpiled. Buying a ham radio with an earpiece or headphones will also be helpful as it would be one less thing you have to carry.
When you purchase a ham radio also make sure that you purchase a handbook. Keep the handbook with the ham radio in your emergency pack. Not everyone is going to be an expert when it comes to using a ham radio so it is crucial that you keep instructions with it at all times. This will make sure that no matter where you are you will know how to use it properly.
Taking the time pre-apocalypse to learn about ham radios, getting your license, as well as preparing, are all good things to do and will put you ahead of the game. Talk to an experienced user if you are not sure which one is the right one for you.
If you are really serious about preparing a fool proof bugout bag then you are going to have to know the essentials when it comes to medical supplies. You do not have a lot of space so you are going to only want to pack the most essential medical tools and supplies. Most survivalists know what the basics are, but there are some other items that are crucial to have in your bugout bag for the purpose of survival.
Pocket Resuscitator for CPR
This is more of a high tech item that you have to have in your first aid kit. It will help you to do CPR on someone in your family or your group. This is a life-saving item that you can buy for $10 to add to your first aid kit. It comes with mask and gloves and a valve that will keep them from choking if they throw up.
Wound Closure and Suturing Kit
There is a good chance that while you and your group are out trying to survive that someone will be cut and need to be stitched up. Sometimes bandages will help the situation but not if they have been severely cut. You should definitely keep 2-3 of these in your first aid kit just in case someone gets a deep cut and needs to be stitched up. These typically run for about $2 a piece and are a must-have for any first aid kit.
Bandages are a must for any survivalist group. Here are some of the different bandages that you will need in order to cover all of your bases.
- A roll of gauze
- 2 Ace bandages and metal clips
- 3×4 inch gauze pads
- Large bandages (2)
- Medical tape
- Standard bandage strips (5-10)
- Butterfly bandages and closures (4-6)
Here is a short list of various other items that will come in handy when you are out in the wilderness and trying to survive.
- Aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofen, or any other over-the-counter pain medication
- Scissors, cotton balls, and thermometer
- Antibiotic ointment
- Alcohol wipes
- Maxi pads or tampons (good for absorbing)
- Bug spray and itch cream
- Antihistamine pills for allergic reactions
- Leftover antibiotics (if you have them)
- Latex gloves
You must keep in mind that your first aid kit has to be tailored to you and your family’s personal needs. If there are any prescription medications or solution for your contact lenses you are going to want to include those as well. You may get panicked and start over packing. There is no need to overdo it. You want to cover all of your bases without taking up a lot of your space in your bugout bag.
Double check your first aid kit to make sure it has everything you and your family will need for approximately 12 weeks of survival. Mouthwash would also be a good option to stay sanitary on the road. These are only a few ideas of what you may need when you are trying to survive on the road.